The holy place in Moses’ tabernacle was separated from
the most holy place by the
Exodus 26:33 (King James Version)
33. And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy.
Hebrews 9:2-3 (King James Version)
2. For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
3, And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
The priests entered from the east, and
the golden lampstand or candlestick was on the left or the south side -
24. And he put the candlestick in the tent of the congregation, over against the table, on the side of the tabernacle southward.
25. And he lighted the lamps before the LORD; as the LORD commanded Moses.
The table of shewbread was on the right or the north side -
Exodus 40:22-23 (King James Version)
Exodus 40:26-27 (King James Version)
The set up of the Holy place is summarized in -
Exodus 26:35 (King James Version)
35. And thou shalt set the table without the vail, and the candlestick over against the table on the side of the tabernacle toward the south: and thou shalt put the table on the north side.
The priests went into the Holy place daily to carry out duties.
Hebrews 9:6 (King James Version)
6. Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
Exodus 30:7-8 (King James Version)
7. And Aaron shall burn thereon sweet incense every morning: when he dresseth the lamps, he shall burn incense upon it.
8. And when Aaron lighteth the lamps at even, he shall burn incense upon it, a perpetual incense before the LORD throughout your generations.
2 Chronicles 13:11 (King James Version)
11. And they burn unto the LORD every morning and every evening burnt sacrifices and sweet incense: the shewbread also set they in order upon the pure table; and the candlestick of gold with the lamps thereof, to burn every evening: for we keep the charge of the LORD our God;
Olive oil was used as fuel for the golden candlesticks to keep it lit -
Leviticus 24:2-4 (King James Version)
2. Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually.
3. Without the vail of the testimony, in the tabernacle of the congregation, shall Aaron order it from the evening unto the morning before the LORD continually: it shall be a statute for ever in your generations.
4. He shall order the lamps upon the pure candlestick before the LORD continually.
The Priests were to communicate with God from the Holy place in front of the Altar of Incense -
Exodus 30:1, 6 (King James Version)
1. And thou shalt make an altar to burn incense upon: of shittim wood shalt thou make it.
6. And thou shalt put it before the vail that is by the ark of the testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the testimony, where I will meet with thee.
Once per year on the day of atonement, the high priest would go from the holy place into the most holy or holy of holiest.
When Jesus first left earth and went to heaven, He officiated in the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary.
Click here if you have a question, comment, or suggestion.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search box to find it.
Revelation 2:7 (KJV)
7. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.