The table of shewbread was placed on the north side of the Holy place -
Exodus 40:22 (King James Version)
22. And he put the table in the tent of the congregation, upon the side of the tabernacle northward, without the vail. -
The table of shewbread was made of wood overlaid with gold -
Exodus 25:23-28 (King James Version)
23. Thou shalt also make a table of shittim wood: two cubits shall be the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
24. And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, and make thereto a crown of gold round about.
25. And thou shalt make unto it a border of an hand breadth round about, and thou shalt make a golden crown to the border thereof round about.
26. And thou shalt make for it four rings of gold, and put the rings in the four corners that are on the four feet thereof.
27. Over against the border shall the rings be for places of the staves to bear the table.
28. And thou shalt make the staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold, that the table may be borne with them.
Dishes, and utensils were kept on the table of shewbread -
Exodus 25:29-30 (King James Version)
29. And thou shalt make the dishes thereof, and spoons thereof, and covers thereof, and bowls thereof, to cover withal: of pure gold shalt thou make them.
30. And thou shalt set upon the table shewbread before me alway.
Twelve bread cakes were placed on the table of shewbread and replaced once per week on the Sabbath -
Leviticus 24:5-8 (King James Version)
5. And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof: two tenth deals shall be in one cake.
6. And thou shalt set them in two rows, six on a row, upon the pure table before the LORD.
7. And thou shalt put pure frankincense upon each row, that it may be on the bread for a memorial, even an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
8. Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
1 Chronicles 9:32 (King James Version)
32. And other of their brethren, of the sons of the Kohathites, were over the shewbread, to prepare it every sabbath.
The Priests ate the shewbread while inside the holy place.
It was part of the daily sanctuary services -
Leviticus 24:9 (King James Version)
9. And it shall be Aaron's and his sons'; and they shall eat it in the holy place: for it is most holy unto him of the offerings of the LORD made by fire by a perpetual statute.
The bread on the table of shewbread represented Jesus -
John 6:33 (King James Version)
33. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
John 6:51 (King James Version)
51. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
1 Corinthians 11:23-24 (King James Version)
23. For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24. And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Like the table of shewbread the golden lampstand also represented Jesus.
Click here if you have a comment, question, or suggestion.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search box to find it.
Romans 9:22-26 (KJV)
22. What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23. And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24. Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25. As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26. And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.