There are times when we try to come up with sympathy sayings when people suffer from sorrow or trials. While some people are good at providing this type of comfort, most of us don't know what to say or do.
It is said that, "kind words, looks of sympathy, expressions of appreciation, would be to many a struggling and lonely one as the cup of cold water to a thirsty soul. A word of sympathy, an act of kindness, would lift burdens that rest heavily upon weary shoulders." (Sons and Daughters of God, White)
Sympathy sayings may consist of simple words such as, "I am so sorry...", "my thoughts are with you", "I am praying for you" (if you say you'll pray for them do so immediately before you forget),
We can also get inspiration for sympathy sayings from bible verses.
Here are some bible verses about sorrow-
Ecclesiastes 7:3 (King James Version)
3. Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.
John 16:20 (King James Version)
20. Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
4. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (King James Version)
13. But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Sometimes people are so distraught that they may not hear your sympathy sayings at that time. However if you give it to them in writing, sympathy messages such as in a card, they can read it later over and over again.
Many times those who are suffering think "why me". These sympathy bible verses can inspire words of encouragement -
1 Peter 4:12-13 (King James Version)
12. Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13. But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
2 Timothy 3:12 (King James Version)
12. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
2 Timothy 2:12 (King James Version)
12. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him:
From these bible verses you can get sympathy sayings for those going through trials -
Romans 5:3-5 (King James Version)
3. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4. And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5. And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
1 Peter 1:7 (King James Version)
7. That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Then you may need sympathy sayings for the length of time they are suffering; "how long...". These sympathy bible verses may inspire you -
Lamentations 3:31-33 (King James Version)
31. For the LORD will not cast off for ever:
32. But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
33. For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
Sympathy sayings should include God's promises of help, here are some bible verses to inspire you -
Psalm 34:19 (King James Version)
19. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
Job 34:28 (King James Version)
28. So that they cause the cry of the poor to come unto him, and he heareth the cry of the afflicted.
Job 5:17-18 (King James Version)
17. Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
18. For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole.
Psalm 9:9 (King James Version)
9. The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
Psalm 46:1 (King James Version)
1. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Isaiah 43:2 (King James Version)
2. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Hosea 6:1 (King James Version)
1. Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
Sympathy sayings can let the suffering know that God is still in charge, be inspired by these bible verses. -
John 16:33 (King James Version)
33. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Romans 8:28 (King James Version)
28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
I hope these bible verses inspired some sympathy sayings and messages for you.