1. Jesus started the communion service in the upper room just before his crucifixion. And he gave instructions for it to be continued
1 Corinthians 11:23-25 (King James Version)
23. For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24. And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
Communion is a reminder of Christ's sacrifice on Calvary for us.
1 Corinthians 11:26 (King James Version)
26. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
3. The bread and the grape juice in the communion service represent the broken body and the blood of Jesus shed on Calvary.
Matthew 26:26-28 (King James Version)
26. And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
4. When we drink the wine during communion we receive forgiveness of sins, since the wine is a symbol of the blood Christ shed for the remission of sins. As stated in the verse above.
Hebrews 9:22 (King James Version)
22. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
5. Taking communion is a time to examine ourselves, to ensure we are worthy to take part in the service.
1 Corinthians 11:27-29 (King James Version)
27. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. -
28. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
6. Taking communion is a time to forgive and seek reconciliation.
Matthew 5:22-24 (King James Version)
22. But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23. Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24. Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. -
7. Included in the communion service was foot washing, an act Jesus used to teach humility.
John 13:3-5 (King James Version
3. Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4. He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
8. The foot washing part of the communion service is a symbol of being washed and cleansed from sin.
John 13:6-10 (King James Version)
6. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7. Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
8. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
9. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
10. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
9. Jesus said the foot washing service was an example for us to do as he did. Jesus said happy are we if we do it.
John 13:12-17 (King James Version)
12. So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13. Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
10. The communion service prepares us for heaven and the marriage supper of the Lamb.
Matthew 26:29 (King James Version)
29. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
Revelation 19:6-9 (King James Version)
6. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
7. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
8. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
9. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
If you appreciate this page please like it, thanks.
Galatians 5:19-21 (KJV)
19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Available From Read Your Bible
Listen To The Word
Search And Study
Read Your Bible
Black Genuine Leather
Bound in Buttery-Soft Genuine Leather With Large Print
Thompson-Chain Reference Bible-KJV
A Great Study Bible
Detailed Reference System
Build your Faith
Listen to the Word of God
Romans 10:17 (KJV)
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
Franklin BIB-475 Electronic Bible
A Great Electronic Bible
Approx. Screen Size 4" x 2"
Small Enough to Put in Your Pocket
The Original GoBible
Compact Portable Bible
Kindle Audiobook Technology
Direct Verse Jump