Bible verses about marriage let us know that marriage is a serious commitment. That is why wedding vows included "till death do us part". It is not to be taken lightly.
In these verses about marriage consider what Jesus told the Pharisees about divorce -
Matthew 19:8-9 (King James Version)
8. He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Click here to read more on bible verses about marriage and adultery
To emphasize the seriousness of the act of marriage the honeymoon lasted a year -
Deuteronomy 24:5 (King James Version)
5. When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
Included below are Bible verses suitable for weddings.
Bible verses about marriage let us know that a marriage should be loving -
Proverbs 5:18-19 (King James Version)
18. Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
19. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
Ecclesiastes 9:9 (King James Version)
9. Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
These Bible verses on marriage tell us how to be loving and keep each other from committing adultery -
1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (King James Version)
3. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
4. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
5. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
The Bible verses about marriage emphasize the wife's need to submit and the husband's need to love.
Ephesians 5:22-25, 28-29 (King James Version)
22. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
28. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Submission is something the wife willing does like Christ willingly submitted to die on the cross. It is not something the husband demands.
Notice the promise to the wife in these Bible verses about marriage found in Peter. (Hint verse 1)
4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6. Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
7. Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
And these bible verses about marriage let us know how to communicate with each other so God will hear our prayers. And marriages need prayer...
1 Peter 3:8-12 (King James Version)
8. Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
9. Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
10. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
11. Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
12. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
I hope you found these bible verses about marriage helpful.
If you appreciate this page please like it, thanks.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search box to find it.
Psalm 40:13 & 17 (KJV)
13. Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.
17. But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.